
I don't have many good pictures of Grandpa, but I thought he looked so tender in this one as he gazed down at his grandson, Daniel. Judging by the ages of us kids, it must have been taken in about 1987.
There are so many little things I remember about Grandpa...
~ The way he would get up early in the morning in Lake of the Pines and go around feeding dogs, or blowing his conch shell to scare the deer away from his garden
~ His amazing ability to cup his hands and blow and make music come out. He was patient enough to teach me when I was younger, but I couldn't make the melody trill the way he could. I was always fascinated by that.
~ Grandpa's silly side. He was always calling us kids"Twinkle toes" or "Little boy blue" and he loved to knock on the table and tell us to go answer the door. With really little kids, he'd meow or tickle their toes. My mom has one of my favorite pictures of Grandpa: he's holding a little umbrella that my sister received for a Christmas present, and prancing around under it in a very silly way!
~ His love of music and poetry. When Grandpa was getting quite old, I remember several times when some aspect of the conversation reminded him of a poem. He'd enthusiastically quote a line from it (or what he remembered of the line) and I wish I knew what he was quoting from. If anyone knows any of his favorite poems, let me know! I think there was one about "a golden boy with eyes of blue" or something like that. I also remember how Rebekah would play Amazing Grace on the piano and he would sing along, each time acting like the song was something new and wonderful.
I'm sure many more memories will come to the surface over the next few days, but this is it for now. I love you Grandpa.
No comments:
Post a Comment